JadeYoga Coronavirus (COVID-19) Precautions and Mat Cleaning InstructionsPosted by Dean Jerrehian on
To the Jade Community,
As I am sure many of you are, we are doing what we can do in response to the coronavirus. Our top priority is to protect the health and safety of our team and customers. We would like you to know the steps we have taken and how they may impact you.
First, while we have had no employees diagnosed with COVID-19, we are having all employees follow CDC recommended hand washing protocols when handling our products and we are encouraging all employees who have any symptoms consistent with COVID-19 to stay home from work until they are feeling better.
Second, we have also expanded our sick leave policy to provide extended sick leave to anyone diagnosed with COVID-19 so no employees will be tempted to work if they are sick. For our customers, this may mean some delays in responding to inquiries and shipping, but we hope you can understand.
Third, we are preparing to have as many employees as possible work from home should the need arise. Again, this may cause our customers some inconvenience for which we apologize.
Fourth, according to the World Health Organization, it is “not certain how long the virus that causes COVID-19 survives on surfaces, but it seems to behave like other coronaviruses. Studies suggest that coronaviruses (including preliminary information on the COVID-19 virus) may persist on surfaces for a few hours or up to several days. If you think a surface may be infected, clean it with simple disinfectant to kill the virus and protect yourself and others. Clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water. Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, or nose.”
In addition, we have developed the following recommendations with respect to the use of any yoga mat during this time:
- You should not share a mat with anyone who has COVID-19 or might have been exposed to coronavirus. As the cases of coronavirus are still relatively small as compared to the flu, this should not be difficult, but the numbers are growing every day.
- We recommend that anyone with coronavirus let their studio know if they have attended class in the prior 14 days so the studio may take appropriate measures to disinfect the studio
- If possible, you should not share a yoga mat with anyone. While in ordinary circumstances we would prefer a natural mat cleaner, if students are using a loaner or rental mat, we recommend you clean mats with one the disinfectants recommended by EPA as effective against coronavirus (see https://templatelab.com/epa-registered-disinfectant-products/). Unfortunately, some of these cleaners (especially anything with an alcohol base) may cause rubber yoga mats to degrade prematurely. In reviewing this list, it appears that Lysol Professional Disinfectant Spray will have the least negative impact on natural rubber yoga mats. For more information about Lysol, please see: https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/000777-00099-20190607.pdf
- If sharing a mat, be sure to wash your hands, face and any part of your body and clothing that has touched the mat thoroughly after use
Fifth, please check in with your local studio to see how you can continue to support them and your teachers through this time and see if they offer any online classes that you can utilize.
Finally, we strongly urge all to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning product.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. And, if soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60%–95% alcohol.
JadeYoga, a Division of Jade Industries, Inc.
101 W. Washington Street
Conshohocken, PA 19428